American Red Cross Launches Mind-Body Workshops
To help members of the military and their families recover and heal from their service, the American Red Cross has created a new series of workshops that engages both the mind and body to address common stress reactions.
- Red Cross Mind Body Workshops focus on the interaction between the mind and body and the powerful ways in which emotional, mental, social and spiritual factors can directly affect health.
- Workshop participants practice skills like breathing and meditation, which are proven to lower stress and improve well-being.
- Red Cross Mind Body Workshops complement the well-established Reconnection Workshops, which focus on growth through group discussion and skills building.
- There is no magic bullet to heal the injuries received while serving our country. Healing takes time and happens differently for each person and family.
The Red Cross Mind Body Workshops consist of two short, one-time sessions that teach service members, veterans and their families simple tools to help them stay grounded and refocus during times of stress.
- Introduction to Mind-Body Skills is perfect for those that are who are just getting started or are hesitant about trying mind-body awareness. The workshop covers breathing, mindfulness techniques, stretching and movement, body awareness and guided imagery.
- Using Mind-Body Skills guides participants through techniques for personal and professional growth. The workshop covers drawing, journaling, meditation, body awareness and self-directed imagery.
The Red Cross Mind Body workshops were developed and reviewed by a team of experts in mental health, mind-body practice, military culture, and complementary and integrative healing.
- The workshops are facilitated by independently licensed and highly trained mental health professionals who have extensive experience in mind-body practice and who have received additional training on military life and culture.
- Since the 1960’s, thousands of studies have been published demonstrating the efficacy of mind-body techniques to relieve insomnia, anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder and other medical and psychological illnesses.
The Red Cross Mind Body Workshops are available to members of the military, veterans and families from all eras. For more information, contact your local Red Cross office or go to RedCross.org/MindBodyWorkshops.