Job Opening: Virginia Veteran and Family Support
Virginia Veteran and Family Support, Northern Virginia Region
Veteran Peer Specialist
Full time permanent position provides peer support to veterans and their families in the Northern Virginia area for the Virginia Veteran and Family Support. Office is based out of Fairfax. Peer support is provided through connecting, relating and supporting veteran or family member in any struggles represented. Common needs include, but are not limited to military transitional struggles, PTSD, substance abuse, employment and housing. Services are provided to veterans by assisting in the navigation of federal, state, non-profit & community services and resources which address the needs presented by the veteran and family. This requires the continual development of a service resource network for veterans. Qualified candidates must have the ability to facilitate combat peer support groups. Position requires the ability to connect with combat veterans at a peer level and be comfortable providing peer support for mental health needs including PTSD.
- Must be military veteran in any service branch with an Honorable Discharge. Must provide DD214.
- Candidate must be comfortable working with veterans with wide range of mental health struggles including PTSD and substance abuse.
- Candidate must be comfortable with public speaking and demonstrate ability in both written and spoken communication.
- Candidate must have successfully completed an Associate’s degree or education and experience to produce required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Valid state driver’s license with good driving record. Some reimbursed travel required
Preferred: Bachelors degree, experience in human services and combat experience
The following documents are required to apply for this position:
- Complete NWCSB Application
- Attach copy of DD214
- Attach resume/cover letter
- Submit all documents to HR@nwcsb.com
For more information on the positions, you may also call Betty Ann Liddell, Northern Virginia Regional Director at Bettyann.Liddell@dvs.virginia.gov. Information on the Virginia Veteran and Family Support can be found at www.dvs.virginia.gov