VEI VETWORKING – Sept 26 & Oct 4
Northern Virginia Technology Council announces their next award winning and highly praised VEI VETWORKING cohort on 26 September and 4 October 2017 (two parts) which is a no-cost signature education and mentoring program supporting employment in the civilian workforce for transitioning military members, Veterans and spouses.
You can take a look at what the VEI program is about in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5CQ9Hcnm40&t=2s
Tuesday 26 September and Wednesday 4 October 2017
(5:00 pm to 8:00 pm for each session)
The MITRE Corporation
1550 Westbranch Dr.
The Northern Virginia Technology Council’s Veteran Employment Initiative offers a VETWORKING program which provides Veteran and military spouse jobseekers with career transition education and personal growth experiences to succeed in seeking civilian employment. VETWORKING is a personal and professional development program combining elements of networking and mentoring and connects transitioning service members, Veterans and their spouses with a support team. Through small group interactions, VETWORKING facilitates the job seeker’s development of career search skills, builds professional networks and empowers through the support of fellow job seekers and professional mentors.
The formal classroom program is broken down into two sessions of three and a half hours each on two weekday evenings a week apart. The start time for each session is 5 pm with a working dinner provided. There is a maximum of 25 Veterans or military spouses per cohort and you must commit to attending both sessions. The course content consists of:
A self-assessment using Gallup’s StrengthsFinder 2.0 reviewed by a certified coach
- A resume workshop using a qualified team to help tailor your resume to a particular job or career field
- An assigned personal mentor to serve as a key support and resource during your job-seeking time frame
- Tuning up your interviewing skills including your “elevator pitch” to prepare you for your upcoming job interviews
- Connecting with professional corporate recruiters on a panel to glean insights on how companies hire and best practices during your interview process
- Conducting actual job interviews with corporate recruiters